Backpacking is without doubt one of the most fascinating experiences as you explore the natural world out there. For this reason if you are a hiking enthusiast, learning about hiking essentials is one thing you can never ignore. Top in the list of the ultimate outdoor gear for hiking and camping include the right pair of shoes, a dependable backpack, and night vision scope among other thinks.
All these are necessary to help you go through all the daily outdoor ventures without much hassle.
The best hiking shoes
Your feet are the most essential for a successful backpacking. Before you plan your hike, you, therefore, need to ensure you have happy feet to traverse the rough terrains. Remember a wrong choice of footwear could seriously break your outdoor experience. Save yourself from the pain of massive blisters on your feet that may otherwise ruin your outdoor activities and hiking in general.
While choosing the best shoes for your backpacking experience, always consider the two crucial things:
- The place you are going- you must have thought of your hiking destination and tried to learn about it as much as possible. You will have to find out whether it would be cold or hot, dust or muddy, sandy or rocky among other things. Based on these findings, you will be able to get the right footwear for the trip.
What you are going to do-this is another crucial consideration as you plan your backpacking adventure. Will you be visiting the rocky ancient temples or trekking through the wilderness or simply walking around the museum. You need to consider the plans you have concerning the activities you expect to be involved in ahead of the material date to make the right choice on the shoes to get.
- Remember, different shoes are designed to function well in different terrains. For this reason, choosing the right shoes will help you to avoid getting stuck when the weather is unfavorable for the choice of shoes you picked. A thorough research into the expected weather and climate for your hiking destination is therefore worth the while, the same case as learning more about what the landscape is like.
Well, the following are the different types of shoes you need as a backpacker ready for your outdoor experience;
These are perfect if you are planning to get lost into the jungle or wilderness. They are perfect since they are stable and comfortable as they offer support to the ankle and arch. These types are also tough and durable to last long distances of walking even on the roughest terrains since they have thick soles with additional support as well as waterproof solutions when there is need.
Some of the common brands of hiking boots include Colombia, Salomon and Keen among others. With many other brands available, you will need to make a personal decision considering other factors such as cost, durability, comfort and style.
These are essential in case you need a lighter option with more comfort and support especially when visiting the rural villages, strolling around museums and art galleries. You will, however, need to know that such shoes are not thick-soled meaning that they cannot be used on rocky terrains.
For this option, going for the top brands like Keen and Merrel will be a good idea as they command classical quality and comfort in their products.
Flip flops or sandals
Are you intending to take long walks along the beach or ancient temples? Sandals would be the ideal option for you. It is true that many ancient temples demand visitors to remove their shoes before entering. Having sandals on would, therefore, be very convenient in such cases. The same case with having walks along the shores or beach.
Simply get the right flip flops that are comfortable and your outdoor experience will be perfect. Make sure the sandals offer a perfect grip on your feet to prevent slipping over when the sandals become slippery due to wetness.
Crocs and Keen brands have always come on top of the list for the best sandals to consider and will offer you the best you deserve.
The right backpack
A crucial necessity for a backpacking experience; you will need to get the right choice of a backpack that perfectly and comfortably fits. You will use it to carry most of the hiking essentials including water bottles, snacks and freeze-dried foods among other items. For the first time, load it to about 30 pounds then have a test hike to ensure it stays comfortable on your shoulders and hips.
The right choice of backpack should keep the weight off the upper back and shoulders and offer proper padding to maximize comfort around the waist. Apart from comfort and fitness, you will also need to consider other factors such as;
- Purpose of the backpack
- Needed size
- Weight of the backpack
- Required capacity
- Pack’s accessibility
- Hydration compatibility
Among the perfect options available in the market include; Camdem gear backpack, Trespass Neroli backpack, berghaus twenty four seven and the Friendly Swede 25L Ultra-light packable backpack among others.
The best night vision scope
Backpacking with a powerful night vision scope will definitely add fun to the outdoor experience especially if you are planning to spend a night or two away from home. It is therefore important that you know a bit about night vision binoculars before you go out to get one for any specific purpose.
Here is a guide on some of the crucial things to consider when selecting a night vision scope.
- The environment you are planning to visit- this, along with the purpose with which you intend to use the scope are crucial when choosing the kind of scope that will perfectly work for you. On the same note, you will have to consider distance you intend to focus using the same scope as well as the weather since it affects visibility and light levels.
- Gain- this is the relative level of light to see when using a scope. A scope with a stronger magnification lens will have a poor gain. In case you consider deer hunting during your hiking, getting a scope with a higher gain will be necessary.
- Image quality- a scope with a better image quality will make it easy to see the intended objects. This, however, comes with a price of a higher cost for the specific scope.
Among other things to consider when choosing the right night vision scope will include photosensitivity and system resolution which too make it possible to have better object clarity during your nights out.
Good examples of night vision scopes to consider may include the Discovery Pocket 8X21, Avalon 10X42 PRO HD binoculars, Avalon 20X50 Outpost, Pulsar Helion XP Thermal Monocular, Zeiss Terra ED 10X42 and Nikon Prostaff 10X42 among others.
The Bottom Line
Are you planning for a perfect gateway this season? Learning about the best camping and hiking gear is necessary. With the right footwear, backpack and night vision included, you are good to get going. Of course other necessities like tents, food, stove, sleeping bag and pad are also necessary.
The post was written by Daniel.