Disc golf also called Frisbee golf is gaining momentum as its audience and followers increases. But just like any other sports, nothing will ruin a good game than wearing the wrong pair of shoes. This sport will require you specific footwear so we come up with our list of the best disc golf shoes today.
What to Consider in a Disc Golf Shoe?
The game requires the player to wear a different type of shoe that suits disc golf so they can move effectively during the game. Likewise, their shoes should be able to endure rocky terrains and uneven grounds. The right footwear can help improve one’s performance and experience while playing.
Many would agree that this sport tends to eat up shoes due to the constant rotation, planting and toe dragging. These movements can destroy a mediocre running shoe hence, the need for durable footwear specifically designed for disc golf.
With that in mind, take a look of the things to consider when buying the best disc golf shoes.
Comfort- of course
This is the ultimate factor regardless of the sports we are into. If you are into disc golf, chances are you take early rounds in dew-covered grounds or you walk for miles. Your shoes must have proper foot support to give you maximum comfort.
It should also have a good insole with arch support to avoid foot worn out and to prevent injuries due to repetitive play.
Consider the shoes’ grip strength on various surfaces. Aside from comfort, aim for functionality so you can keep going. The tread is crucial especially if you are playing in wet grass conditions.
Likewise, disc golf covers a number of various terrains and less ideal situations like dewy fairways, dirt, mud and snow. A good treat will provide you a better grip on these different surfaces while allowing you to have full control.
Many disc golf players find waterproof shoes necessary when playing on courses with creek crossings or wet grass areas. Unfortunately, waterproof shoes become less breathable.
Thus, others prefer to waterproof the lining of their shoes while some opt for treating the inside and outside of their shoes. It is up to you whether dry feet or breathability is your priority.
Strength- stronger shoes are well-stitched and composed of well-constructed fabric. It prevents ripping of the sides and sole or and protect your shoes from wear-and-tear.
Make sure that your shoes used of quality materials and durable sole to lessen the risk of rolling over the sole when planting the foot.
Other players prefer to use lightweight shoes to help them achieve their maximum power and momentum during the game. However, others like heavy weight shoes as they feel comfortable piloting under various course conditions.
The Best Disc Golf Shoes
Now we will find out the best shoe brands for playing disc golf and how these footwear can make a difference in the game. Aside from disc golf, you can use them as well in other sporting activities.
***Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
While Puma is popular for producing quality running shoes, they are transitioning some of it to golf shoes. They added what they called Disc technology to come up with golf shoes that offer more stabilization and customized fit.
The newest technologies put in this shoe make it seem more futuristic. With its DISC Closure System, you need to adjust its dial system to quickly secure your foot.
- Their TitanTour Ignite Disc Golf shoes have its internal wire laces system that tightens and loosen as you wish, giving you the amazing fit that snugs with your feet.
- It also incorporated the “ignite foam” or a responsive foam midsole for stable cushioning and energy return while it has D2 insole for added comfort and durability.
- The upper has full-grain leather materials which add quality and sophistication.
- It has the thermoplastic urethane (TPU) technology for heel support.
- Puma also features their GripZone traction wherein they strategically placed directional lugs to enhance grip and traction.
- The DUOFLEX outsole allows natural movement of the foot while providing support.
- It is also waterproof yet lightweight.
- So far with the current reviews, users don’t have a major issue with this shoe aside from getting the wrong sizes upon ordering it online.
Our list will not be complete without Adidas as the company is world-renown for manufacturing sports shoes. They sponsored the world’s top ranked disc golfer Paul McBeth in 2016 which boosts the popularity of their Terrex Swift R GTX series.
Although looking sturdy, this shoe is lightweight and has a low-to-the-ground design which gives players a better control.
While it is especially design for hikers or trekkers, the Terrex Swift R GTX suits disc golf players as they also tackle rocky terrains and wooded courses.
- The shoes’ lining has an additional GORE-Tex, a material that can keep the feet dry under wet conditions and resist abrasions.
- It has TRAXION outsoles or high traction rubber outsole that will give you optimal grip in any surfaces while playing disc golf.
- Likewise, its midsole have additional Adiprene for shock absorption, thus, reducing the impact and possible fatigue. This feature allows the shoe to take the shape of your foot.
- The shoelace system is also commendable as enables easy access but won’t’ easily come loose.
- EVA cushioning is an important feature of this shoe as it provides better heel support from uneven terrains and long walks.
- Users describe it as a sturdy shoe even in the roughest terrain possible. You can use it in the gym or when running
- The shoes are not 100% waterproof hence, it could be irritating for you to play on a wet course.
Merrell is one of the best manufacturers of hiking boots. Their shoes like the Moab Mid-cut are functional and comfortable that you can use it in other activities such as active weekends outdoors or in playing disc golf.
It is a lightweight boot, relatively worn resistant and ideal for daily use.
It features a unique mid-cut design with a breathable mesh lining for ventilation and comfort. You can be sure that this shoe is slip-resistant, provides proper cushioning, durable and breathable, allowing you to move and walk under strenuous conditions.
- Strong yet affordable, it is one of the highly recommended shoes for disc golf players. It offers ankle support and stability over rough trails while keeping your comfort.
- It features a molded EVA foot frame and heel air cushion for added shock absorption and stability.
- User report that it can keep your feet cool while playing, hiking or training during summer days because of its ventilation features.
- It offers excellent support and guarantees traction on dry and wet surfaces and uneven trails.
- This boot will surround your foot with breathable yet, waterproof mesh upper and Dura leather materials. It is sure to keep your feet dry and odor free because of its antimicrobial technology.
- Some users find the Merrell Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot a bit narrow especially for those who have wide feet.
- It also lacks top-level durability as the exposed mesh upper seems to break down faster compared to other boots.
Another popular name in outdoor sports is the Salomon. They offer various gears such as shoes to help maximize every customer’s playing experience.
One is their Speedcross 3 Trail Running shoe which offers durability and quality.
Lightweight and simple, the company made sure that this show will provide excellent support and cushion in a durable package. It has waterproofing features but also offers breathability.
- They use a Sensifit system that ensures secure and precise fit. This technology allows the shoe to take the form and shape of the foot, reducing the tendency for abrasions.
- The entire shoe is predominantly composed of water resistant textile material to ensure waterproofing.
- It also incorporates EVA midsole to protect and support the feet with its better cushion design.
- The Contragrip on it outer soles aim for the ultimate grip regardless of terrain conditions. It allows you to play without the fear of slipping.
- We like that it has a Quicklace System for that “easy-on, easy off” wearing and keeping a snug fit.
- It has protective rubber toe cap that will protect the toes from constant dragging.
- Users are satisfied with the level of comfort the shoe offers. It helps them avoid ankle twisting because of its low-to-the-ground forefoot design.
- The most popular issue of users with this shoe is the extremely expensive price.
While this brand is available in boots and shoe versions, we highly recommend the shoe version as it is more lightweight.
This hiking shoe from KEEN is suitable for other activities such as disc golf and off-road adventures.
The KEEN Dry technology is a good waterproofing system present in KEEN Targhee II. The company has state-of-the-art waterproofing designs.
- The shoes come with removable metatomical footbed with EVA cushioning that gives ultimate support.
- It also features a hydrophobic mesh lining with waterproof leather as its upper materials hence, you can expect for dry feet even when you play disc golf in puddles or wet grass.
- It has an awesome grip on terrains like a slippery mud and rocky roads because of its multi-directional lugs.
- The midsole which consists ESS shank aims to provide torsional stability and prevent foot fatigue.
- The contoured heel lock offers excellent arch support, stability, and structure which prevent ankle-related injuries.
- Disc golf includes toe dragging thus, you need a shoe with thick leather toe guard for protection and the KEEN Targhee II has it.
- It requires users to have a leather cleaner and conditioner to clean their pair of KEEN Men's Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot.
We choose the Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R GTX as the winner in this category because of its important features; proper cushioning, lightweight yet waterproof and it provides better grip but also absorbs shock and impact.
Likewise, it is a stylish pair so you don’t have to sacrifice look and comfort. It resists abrasions and is waterproof giving you the edge even in wet courses.
All these qualities are crucial in playing disc golf because of its different terrain conditions and weather situations. We can say that the Terrex Swift R GTX is our ideal footwear for disc golf, running, hiking and other outdoor activities.