If you want to be a superstar in the basketball court, you need to invest in the right training. Practice is key to improving your skills in playing balls. Another thing that is important is the right choice of footwear. It will help to optimize your performance and be better than any other player.
Choosing the right shoes is not easy. With this, if you are curious about the best basketball shoes for ankle support, keep on reading this post. We will let you know what are the top picks in the market and why you need a special type of footwear on the court.
Why You Need Ankle Support?
Playing basketball can make you prone to injuries. The good thing is that the latter can be avoided. Exercise is one of the best ways to lessen the possibility that you will end up being injured. The use of ankle sleeves, braces, and compression socks can also minimize the possibility of injury.
However, if you are looking for the perfect solution, we highly recommend that you invest in the best basketball shoes for ankle support. In basketball, injuries are likely to happen when you jump and run. With the right shoes, the proper lateral movement of the foot can be optimized. This will aid in the prevention of a sprained ankle.
Essential Factors to Consider
- High Top: One of the most important is for the top to be high. This is exactly the reason why 68% of players in NBA prefer to wear shoes that are designed with a high top. It improves the support that can be provided by the shoe when you make a side-by-side motion.
- This is another technical consideration that will prove to be critical. With this, the forefoot will not be prone to easily twisting. If you twist the front of the shoe, minimal movement should be made.
- Traction: Regardless of the surface of the basketball court, it is important that the sole will offer an excellent grip on the ground. This will prevent the possibility of slipping, and hence, there will be no injury.
- Style: Basketball shoes should not only be about function, but form should also be emphasized. From the color to the design, you should also pay attention to what looks good. This will allow you to use the shoes even outside of the basketball court.
- Fit: Your basketball shoe will be useless if it does not have the right fit. If it is too big, there is a possibility that it will accidentally slip out of your foot. If it is too small, on the other hand, the movement of your foot will be limited and you will feel restricted.
- Comfort: There are many things that will have an impact on the comfort of your basketball shoes. For instance, it will be good that it is made from breathable materials. Also, there should be comfortable insole that can provide the cushioning that you will need.
Top Choices for the Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
Still clueless about which one you should buy? In this section, we will have a rundown of some of the best brands and models that you might want to consider.
Lebron James, without a doubt, is one of the most iconic names in the world of basketball. This is one of his signature shoes, which can already make you confident that it is indeed made for superstars in the court.
The mesh construction of the shoe is one of its best features. The latter will be excellent in terms of improving air circulation, and hence, this can be exceptional when it comes to breathability.
Its sole is made from rubber, which is another feature that makes this an impressive choice. This will help you to improve speed when running while also effectively reducing shock to make you feel more comfortable.
Technically, one feature that makes this an impressive choice is the use of flywire cables, which are found in the midfoot strap. The latter minimizes its weight and also significantly improves lateral support, which is important to prevent ankle injuries.
- Velcro provides adjustable fit
- Comes with a design that will surely turn heads
- Provides excellent cushioning for optimal comfort
- True to the stated size
- The side can be a little rough
- Can be narrow for people with wide feet
Amongst the features of this shoe, one of the most notable is the Adiprene footbed. With the latter, it can provide exceptional cushioning, which is one thing that can minimize the possibility of ending up with a sprained ankle.
If you are looking for shoes that will make you feel comfortable during your game, this can also prove to be an excellent choice. Aside from mesh, there is also a perforated upper. It encourages superior airflow for your highest level of comfort.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a non-marking rubber outsole. The latter significantly improves traction. Whether you are playing basketball indoors or outdoors, you can expect that it will have a strong grip on the surface.
Design-wise this can also be a good choice. There is a subtle webbing that comes with three stripes, which is an iconic signature of Adidas shoes.
- Great shoes even for casual use
- Excellent traction for outdoor basketball
- Cushioned footbed with excellent support
- Comfortable tongue and collar
- Impressive foam on the heel
- Can be narrow if you have wide feet
- May run small if you need a larger size
The Hyperfuse construction of this shoe, an exclusive Nike technology, is one of its best features. The latter is the reason why it is lightweight and delivers excellent breathability.
The flywirecables make this shoe deliver superior fit, which is an essential if you are looking for optimal support for the ankle.
From the width, length, to the overall shape of the shoe, it wraps and secures the ankle to prevent injury.
It also comes with articulated padding lines. The latter adds up to the comfort that it can provide, while also improving its ability to manage moisture.
- Provides excellent comfort
- Supportive of the heel and ankle
- Comes with a cutting-edge design
- Fits like a glove on your feet
- Possible discrepancies in sizing
- Some might find top to be too tight
One of the reasons why this is able to provide maximum support for the ankle is the support that it gives to the heel. The padded tongue and collar are also excellent as they add up to its comfort.
Another feature that is commendable is the full Phylon midsole. The latter is the one that provides the plush cushioning in the footbed.
The lace up enclosure until the top is also a good thing. This provides a snug fit on the shoe, allowing you to have it tighten until the upper part for superior fit.
- Delivers excellent grip on different surfaces
- Does not feel tight on the ankle
- Encourages air circulation for optimal breathability
- Provides excellent arch support
- Not as stylish as others
- Can be tight for wide feet
Among other things, the Boost technology is one thing that you might find to be impressive in this product. This will help in optimizing the return of energy to maximize your performance on the basketball court.
Derrick Rose has gained a reputation as one of the best point guards in basketball. This shoe is made for him, which can give you the confidence that it will be a good choice.
The excellent arch support and cushioned heel are also exceptional, which will help in its ability to provide ankle support. The synthetic and non-marking sole also improves stability, which can minimize possibilities of suffering ankle injuries.
- Snug fit at the ankles
- Excellent cushioning for optimal comfort
- Has heavy grip in a wide array of surfaces
- Cannot be tied tight from the top
- Not as good-looking as others
- Can run narrow or small
Given the abundance of the options for the best basketball shoes for ankle support, making the right decision is not easy. You may end up being overwhelmed. Make sure to pick one that is not only stylish, but also supportive and comfortable.
This will ensure that your ankle will not be sprained, and hence, lessening the likelihood that you will be injured.
You can search with relating keywords:
The 10 Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support in 2018
Nike basketball shoes with ankle support
Basketball shoes with good ankle support
High top basketball shoes ankle support